General Info



hotels in salamina
restaurants in salamina
clubs, bars, cafe in salamina
shops in salamina
greek tourism guide


Salamina is an area of 95 square klm, with a population of approximately 23.000 inhabitants, and is only 1 nautical mile away from Piraeus. At Paloukia next to a children playground an outdoor naval museum was created,with torpedoes and canons It 1978 it was relocated from Poros, to Fneromeni of Salamina and in 1881 to Paloukia naval station. The small church of Agios Georgios was built on the foundations of the pre byzantine cathedral of the 6th century. Near the cape of Pounta between the Kamatero and Ampelakia the ruins of the city Koulouri of the historical years are located.

The capital of Salamina is commonly known as Koulouri consists of a modern rural center with vivid commotion especially during the summer months. At 1993 on the hill of Patris the Euripideo open air theatre was built, where the pan Hellenic poetry competition takes place in the memory of Aggelos Sikelianos. On the coastline of Karaiskaki, a building survives in whose basement the hero had his headquarters.

Temple Metamorphosis of Sotira at Salamina
In the neoclassic building of the Cultural Association Euripides ,the folklore museum and library is housed, which consists of 3500 volumes of books. At the Faneromeni avenue, a few meters before the square of Boskou, Panagia of Boskou or Katharou, can be found, with wall paintings from 1758. The largest and most remarkable Byzantine monastery of the island is that of Faneromeni.

Tradition mentions that in the middle of the 18th century Megaritis L.Kanellos saw in his sleep the Virgin Mary ordering him to remodel the dilapidated temple Metamorphosis of Sotira at Salamina. The monastery has available a guest house and workshop where some nuns draw icons and produce candles and hand woven fabrics.

The monastery celebrates every 23-25 August with a majestic open air festival. Near the beach the house whose guest was the poet Angelos Sikelianos can be located.

At the pine-full village of Moulki (Aiantio) where the widespread first Hellenic settlement existed, visit the churches of Metamorphosis of Sotira and Kimisis of Theotokou from the 11th and 12th century. Five kilometers after Moulki on the mountain of Stavros on the southwestern side of the island the monastery of Saint Nikolaou Lemonion can be found. From 1966 the monastery has available cells and guest rooms. Exactly on the opposite side, the Byzantine temple of Saint John Kalibitou from the 10th century can be seen.

The location west of Phanari of the Peristerion received its name Kolones from the remains of the most ancient city of the island. Based on Stravona, this city was named Salamis and the island Kihria seems to have been inhabited until the end of the 7th century B.C.

Salamina offers intense and a variety of entertainment and nightlife. Excursions are organized to Aigina and Agistri. New Years , Apokries (Greek Halloween) and the celebration of the Fishermen (Psaras in Greek) are celebrated in the traditional way. A school of rowing operates at the naval club of Salamina

The southern coastline is mainly available for swimming and fishing. At the northern coastline you can swim on the smooth sand and Faneromeni.
Night at Salamina
|General Info| |History| |Information| |Map|
|Restaurants| |Cafe| |Shops| |Greek Tourism|