The word Poros is
a geographical term that means a small sea strip which
connects two small bays. Indeed, the distance between
Poros and the coast across, in the nearest point is only
200m. The ancient authors initially mentioned Poros with
the name Irini (peace) probably, because of the peace
that dominated the area after the Dorian descent and the
disruption of the Mycenaean state.
Poros consists of
two islands, which come from two different geological
periods, Sphera and Kalavria. Sphera owes its name to
Spheros who was buried in the island. Later it was renamed
The second island was named Skelerdia and Kalavria, when
the town was built around the sanctuary. Kalavria means,
good breeze. Maybe, it took this name from Kalavropa Apollo
who was worshiped in the island.
Poros covers a distance of 31,3 sq. Km., and population
of 4,000 people. It is situated 32 nautical miles from
Piraeus. The town is built on two rocky hills of a triangular
islet that is called Spheria and it has been characterized
as a scheduled settlement. The houses, without any specific
architectural plan, are built one next to the other.
The Albanians from
the Peloponnese built the first settlements in Casteli.
Chased by the Turks they found refuge in this area, in
1463. The small but interesting Archaeological Museum
of Poros is situated in Korizi's square.
It exhibits findings from the ancient Kalavria and the
ancient Troizina. Most of the visitors make the tour of
Spheria using the circular road of the island.
Poros has a developed tourist substructure. Modern hotels
and rent rooms will serve the visitors. The port of Poros,
the center of life of the island, presents a bright and
pleasant sight with the anchors, the cannons and the marvelous
shops. A festival that no one should miss is the nautical
week, which is organized during summer months.