During the ancient times, Amorgos was constituted of three cities
: Minoa, Aigiali and Arkesini. Each one had its own currency, many
of which have survived until today. Minoa apparently took its name
from Minoas of Crete. From these three cities only Arkesini has
preserved some of her walls. All three cities are located on the
west side of the island across from Naxos.
Amorgos used to be dependent to the Athenians , as they used to attribute taxes to them. Later during the Roman Empire, Amorgos was used as a place of exile. It was stated that Gaios Vivios Serenas the proconsul of Spain had been transferred there.
During the Byzantine Empire, Amorgos belonged to the province of the islands that had Rhodes as their capital and following that, together with the islands of Paros and Sifnos it constituted the episcopate that in 1803 was united with Paronaxia. During the Byzantine Empire the Monastery of Panagia Xaoviotissa was built, which based on tradition was built in 1088 by the emperor Alexios
After the collapse of Constantinople
by the Franks in 1204, in 1207 Amorgos fell under the rule of the
Venetians brothers, Andrew and Ieremias Gizis. Amorgos went over
to the hands John Votatzis emperor of Nice, because the bishop of
Naxos Sanoudos extracted it from the Gizi brothers, but nevertheless
the emperor handed it over to Ieremia Gizi. It stayed under the
Gizi dynasty until 1309. After that it went under the rule of the
Sanoudon Dynasty and stayed under their domination until 1352 when
it was partitioned. One of the pieces came under the domination
of Nikolaos Sanoudos, Duke of Naxos, who in order to revive his
relationship with the powerful family of the Gizis, handed over
to them his piece of Amorgos. Amorgos did not stay under one specific
conqueror for a long period of time. Various conquerors came and
went such as Grimanis, Kiriinis , up until 1447 when it became part
The inhabitants underwent
a lot of sufferings basically because there were continuously
under different conquerors and also because they very often
had invasions from the pirates which plundered their land
during those times. For these reasons a lot of the residents
left Amorgos and immigrated to Crete.
The only sign evident
of the Venetian occupation is a square tower at the location
of Vigla. In 1537 Haideris Varvarosa conquered Amorgos.
Up until 1534 when Amorgos became Patriarchal province, the church had a strong western influence in 1831 it became part of the Archbishopric of the Cyclades. Already from 1828 the first Greek school that was founded by the Monastery of Hozoviotissa was apparent on the island. Later the municipality of Amorgos was created in 1835. Finally in the end of the 19th and 20th century independent Amorgos starts developing. The residents expand heir stock raising , agriculture and course commerce.
During the 2nd World War it again went through difficult times, but it did not surrender. During the 60' many residents immigrated and thus the land was deprived of working hands. Amorgos is an island of the unprofitable shipping line. today Amorgos is undergoing vast development and fast moving growth.